Do you eat, live, and breath Premiership Soccer (the proper football)? GOALLLLLLLLLL!!!!
Join Virginia Tech on a fast paced journey through English football. Experience the thrill of attending a top-flight match between two international superpowers, Manchester City and Liverpool, visit the National Football Museum and other behind-the-scenes tours and experiences throughout England. During this customized Virginia Tech experience, discover the history and culture of clubs and the communities they are so closely entwined with.
- Attend Manchester City vs. Liverpool FC match. *
- Double decker bus journey through London’s most iconic landmarks.
- Meet with a sports nutritionist and soccer coach at a local stadium.
- Enjoy a behind-the-scenes tour of the Manchester City Football Club.
- Attend the FA Women's Super League (WSL) Liverpool vs. Tottenham match.
- Four-star hotel stays throughout the program.
- One to two meals per day, including daily breakfast.
- All domestic transportation.
- All tips for drivers, local guides, restaurant attendants, etc.
March 31: Travel to London
- Welcome Reception, Dinner at The Knights Templar
April 1: London
- Hop aboard a double decker bus and discover iconic London sites like Buckingham Palace.
- Visit the National Archives, to gain insight into soccer's historical importance.
- Network with Hokie alumni living in London during London Chapter alumni event.
April 2: London
- Engage in a roundtable discussion with a sports nutritionist and soccer coach at a local stadium.
- Free time: Join a pub crawl with the Campaign for Real Ale, or see a show in the West End.
April 3: Travel to Manchester
- Enjoy a behind-the-scenes tour of Manchester City Football Club.
- Explore the National Football Museum.
April 4: Manchester
- Attend Manchester City vs Liverpool FC Match in Etihad Stadium. *
- Free time in Manchester.
April 5: Day Trip to Liverpool
- Site visit soccer club for underprivileged students and learn about the positive impact of this sport on local communities.
- Attend FA Women's Super League (WSL) Liverpool vs. Tottenham Match.
- Farewell dinner.
April 6: Manchester to London (program concludes)
Applied Research in Immersive Environments and Simulations
University Libraries at Virginia Tech
Ogle researches factors and tools that contribute to success in immersive learning environments by advancing the design and implementation of immersive experiences as learning scaffolds. He works with undergraduates from multiple disciplines to provide them hands-on learning experiences with outside projects and partners. Unfortunately, he also supports Sunderland, formerly of the Premier League, now in League 1.
Professor of History and Social Science Education at Virginia Tech
Hicks is a professor of history and social science education in the School of Education at Virginia Tech. David holds a bachelors degree (Honors) in social history from Lancaster University (UK), a postgraduate certificate in education in history and social science education from Leeds University (UK), an masters in history from the State University of New York at Cortland, and a Ph.D. in curriculum and instruction from Virginia Tech.
Most recently Hicks ran a Wintermester Study Abroad Course (with Ogle) entitled: Northern England - Coast to Coast: Common People, Class, Coal and Curries. The idea for this alumni trip emerged from some of the experiences during the study abroad program, which involved going to football games and engaging in radical history walks. David is a Huddersfield Town fan - he will not make any alumni go to a “town game” which is what he did to the students on the Wintermester trip.